among others by jo walton

The most comforting, delightful, and pleasurable read I have had in a long time, AO tells the story of 16 year-old Morwenna, who has just been sent off to boarding school in order to escape her evil witch of a mother and connect with a father she has never known. Grief struck after the death of her twin sister (while evading her evil mother), Mor finds solace in the world of books and magic. She has incredible appeal for oddball bibliophiles around the world: "What I mean is, when I look at other people... and see what they like and what they're happy with and what they want, I don't feel as if I'm part of their species. And sometimes - sometimes I don't care... Sometimes it feels as if it's only books that make life worth living..." A gorgeous book, endorsed by Ms. Le Guin herself, and a perfect match for sci-fi book clubs. Give it to fans of Le Guin, Vonnegut, Rowling, and magic. Guaranteed to make you feel less lonely. Grade 9+

Popular posts from this blog

when she woke by hillary jordan

the throwback special by chris bachelder