Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow


Written entirely in verse, Toby Barlow's novel centers around several packs of werewolves living in LA. I read some intriguing reviews of the book when it came out, but forgot about the novel in verse thing until I opened it Friday night and started reading. I was skeptical of the format but after a few pages Barlow's rhythm and lyrical language just pulled me right in. This isn't a romanticized or traditional werewolf book; the writing is more like David Foster Wallace than Stephenie Meyer:

Peabody's desk phone rings.
Picking it up he thinks
there's a point in your life
when the youthful promise of
every phone call
devolves to a point where
each phone ringing
only inspires an "uh-oh"
or "oh shit" or "what now."

Barlow's novel nails the loneliness of life outside and inside the pack and I fell in love with his wounded protagonists. Each page is full of gorgeous prose; I finally stopped dogearing the pages about halfway through. Don't miss this book and give it to everyone you know who loves poetry.
   

Popular posts from this blog

the game of love and death by martha brockenbrough

my friend dahmer by derf backderf