A Mess of Everything by Miss Lasko-Gross


A Mess of Everything reminded me of Phoebe Glockner's Diary of a Teenage Girl and Lynda Barry's Cruddy, two of my favorite books. I didn't like it as much though - maybe because it was the second in a series and I needed the first book to set me up for the second. I didn't enjoy the narrative as much as in Diary and Cruddy. Each of these books captures the experience of being on the outskirts: being a 'weirdo' of sorts, being a smart girl, and the disappointment with people that comes from residing in that space. Diary and Cruddy do it exceptionally well. Give A Mess of Everything to fans of the coming-of-age autobiographical graphic novel.
Grade 10+

Popular posts from this blog

when she woke by hillary jordan

the throwback special by chris bachelder